What was originally a rather modest farm manager’s cottage has been transformed over the years into a delightful and slightly quirky family home that oozes charm and elegance. It’s been perfectly adapted to suit the Owners’ easy going and relaxed lifestyle and reflects their eclectic tastes and their personalities. The core of the house was built in the 1930’s, with a steeply pitched A-frame roof of small black cement tiles that look almost like black slate, over a solid brick structure, with cottage pane window frames. It had two bedrooms, one bathroom, separate lounge and dining rooms and a small kitchen. It was however on a large piece of land with stables and paddocks for horses. The owners had the vision and foresight to see the enormous potential in what was a fairly plain and unprepossessing property.
The fact that the husband is an architect no doubt helped them to appreciate the possibilities for improvements. Changes, renovations and extensions have taken place over the years in an almost seamless style so that it’s difficult to tell now what the original house was like and what has been added to it.
The new owners moved into the house in the early 1980s. The first thing they did was to update and extend the old kitchen creating a large paved courtyard leading to the front entrance. The kitchen now has granite work surfaces, pale whitewashed wooden cabinets, and a sort of farm style centre table with a matching granite top. A bentwood chair adds a vintage feel. Fruit bowls, flowers, a retro whistling kettle and cook books prettily displayed clearly state that is a space to be enjoyed and not simply a utilitarian work space. The lighting is a combination of down-lighters set into the ceiling and pendant lamps helping to blend old fashioned charm with modern practicality. …. Read more in Issue 37 (Latest Issue)